Francis Girard wrote:

> Maybe this can help (this is about LaTeX and not Haskell ...)
>
> The TeX typesetting system uses a bitmap font called Computer
> Modern invented by D. Knuth. Here is a quotation from "A guide to LaTeX" by
> Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daly, Addison-Wesley, 3rd edition, 1999 on page
> 457 :
>
> The Computer Modern fonts have also been converted to Type 1 (postscript)
> fonts, as a joint project of Y&Y Inc. and Blue Sky Research. Originally part
> of their commercial TeX installations, these fonts are now available free of
> charge and can be found on CTAN under fonts/cm/ps-type1/bluesky. An
> alternative, earlier set by Basil Malyshev is located in
> fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma.
>     These fonts are especially recommended for use with pdfTeX. In fact, for
> PDF output one should not even consider applying the bitmap fonts for they
> produce terrible results, whether generated with pdfTeX or with the
> Distiller program.
>
> Thank you
> Francis Girard
> Rimouski, Québec, Canada
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks for the info. However, I think these are only useful if one
has the original TeX source. If one only has the translated
postscript, the fontas are embedded (so Acrobat Reader tells me..)
as type 3 fonts.

I found a link to something called FixFont which might be able to
fix this, but I have not tried it out:

http://www.pdfzone.com/products/software/tool_FixFont.html

Rob MacAulay
Rob MacAulay              Vulcan Asic    ___________
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]               \    |####/
http  : www.vulcanasic.com                \   |###/
Tel   +[44] 1763 247624      (direct)      \  |##/
Tel   +[44] 1763 248163      (office)       \ |#/
Fax   +[44] 1763 241291                      \|/