On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Rob MacAulay wrote:

> Thanks for the info. However, I think these are only useful if one
> has the original TeX source. If one only has the translated
> postscript, the fontas are embedded (so Acrobat Reader tells me..)
> as type 3 fonts.
>
> I found a link to something called FixFont which might be able to
> fix this, but I have not tried it out:
>
> http://www.pdfzone.com/products/software/tool_FixFont.html

I'd be surprised if you can do any sensible conversions with (La)TeX
native fonts to none-native ones because they contain ligatures (i.e.,
specially crafted single blocks for letter combinations like `ff', `ffi',
`ffl', ..., `fj' (an incredibly rare one :-) )) which all the common
postscript fonts that I've seen treat as just single letters bunched
together. (This also means that software like pstotext that tries to
convert post-script to ASCII loses these compounds when applied to
documents using TeX fonts.) I suspect making the original latex source
available is a much better idea.

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       "He'd stay up all night inventing an
www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/pi.htm   alarm clock to ensure he woke early
work tel: (0117) 954-5253         the next morning"-- Terry Pratchett