Ketil Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,

> "Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > A good analysis of were C# fits re Java and C++ is at
> >
> >   http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/08/09/1612254&mode=thread
>
> Wherein we read:
>
> > One new feature that I mentioned already was that of copy-by-value
> > objects. This seemingly small improvement is a potentially huge
> > performance saver! With C++, one is regularly tempted to describe the
> > simplest constructs as classes, and in so doing make it safer and
> > simpler to use them. For example, a phone directory program might
> > define a phone record as a class, and would maintain one PhoneRecord
> > object per actual record. In Java, each and every one of those objects
> > would be garbage collected!
>
> Now, is this really such a big problem?  Is it a problem because of
> Java's mark-and-sweep, and if so, couldn't you apply a better GC?

That's exactly what I thought.  I mean why don't they read a
couple of research papers?  It is not so that they are the
first to run into these problems.  At a related issue, have a
look at the memory management in the Realtime Java spec that
Sun is just about to finalise.  It seems they want to ignore
the existence of generational and concurrent GC altogether
*sigh*

Manuel