On Jun 5, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Juerd Waalboer wrote:
Peter da Silva skribis 2007-06-05 19:30 (-0500):
And for that matter, why do I want to have a "username"? Why can't I
just use my email address,
What happens when you want to change it?

Then you probably need to reconfirm.

Do you foresee any problems?

Losing access to whatever resources are associated with the previous email address?

For many sites that's not an issue, but for others it is.

As opposed to remembering which email address you used?

I use site-example....@juerd.nl, where example.com is the domain of the
login page. Works very well, and lets me delete individual addresses
easily.

I have mixed feelings about that design. I use it a lot, but it seems to multiply my spam since I get copies to many variants. I know where the spam came from, yay... that doesn't console me all that much.

That approach is also only useful for people like us. Most people don't have that option, so they have to live with the spam.

an account tied to an email address is hateful.

Why?

You change your email address, you lose all the accounts tied to it, sooner or later.