* Robert Rothenberg <rob...@gmail.com> [2007-06-06 11:30]:
> I wouldn't say "most" websites. (I'm often surprised at how
> many websites will still let me submit anonymous comments.)

Not surprising at all. Unless you have the gravity of a social
networking site or a large forum, requiring account creation is
a sure way to drive people away. They won't register on weblogs
and the other asteroids floating through the web.

If you want comments from anyone else than the relatives you'd
prefer weren't reading you, you generally need to allow anonymous
comments.

> If you want to have a website with some kind of discussion
> board, you need some kind of authentication. You can farm that
> out to a central system (such as Microsoft Passport) or you can
> let everybody manage their own.

Or you can farm out to a decentralised system like OpenID.

Regards,