David Cantrell wrote:

Which means no interview.  I would no more hire someone as a programmer
who doesn't write stuff for himself than I would hire someone as a
brewer who didn't drink alcohol.

I'm not totally sure about that, myself. There are people doing excellent work at $formeremployer (the interview for which involves a live programming exercise which sems to screen out bluffers very effectively) who don't even own a home computer, much less trip lightly off after work to write the Next Great Text Editor or whatever.

Obligatory software hate: Totem, the little media player that couldn't, but which Gnome assigns as the default for so many file types that months after installing this machine, it still pops up at intervals when I expected vlc or mplayer.