Actually...

I think the analogy "not hiring a brewer who doesn't drink" doesn't even go far enough.

Even if you don't like programming, or don't currently program in your spare time, I can't imagine someone who's a programmer who has *never* written any software that they can't bring in as an example. Even if it's something horrid from college that they think sucks, at least they could bring it in and explain why it sucks and what they'd do differently now. The point isn't to see the code, it's to have the code there for them to explain, discuss, critique, apologize for, and so on.