Nicholas Clark writes:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:57:15AM +0100, Juerd Waalboer wrote:
>> Ugly Software,
>>
>> If I actively ignored your splash screen by clicking another window,
>> then why the hell must you insist on grabbing the focus when your
>> main application windows is finally there?
>
> Pertinent hate indeed. It's not as bad, but Ubuntu's Sound Juicer is also
> hateful. It has no option to disable the "helpful" popup for "I've finished
> extracting the CD"
>
> It's not like I haven't noticed - it *has* an option to eject the CD.
>
> FUCKING THING. DIE DIE DIE.

Also hateful about Sound Juicer: Sunday was the *fourth* anniversary
of a bug report against it that says it does stupid things if the user
tries to use Sound Juicer with two CD drives at the same time.

For some reason, it is deemed an "enhancement" to change the behavior
that changing the current-drive preference in one instance updates the
same preference simultaneously in all other instances.  The other
instances apparently respond by hanging in the middle of their rips.

If the software were less hateful, the preference part would define
the *default* drive rather than the current one, and let users select
the current source the way they do in other applications: through an
"Open ..." dialog.  The staggering cost of a new variable and code to
reuse the drive-selection dialog is obviously not worth it.

Michael Poole