On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 12:43:58PM -0700, Phil Pennock wrote:

> I've not actually seen what's hateful about Exim's config, although if
> you've only ever seen the Debian-ised bastard mutant offspawn of M4
> macros then that's different.  Debian are trying to ensure that
> installing package foo automatically has Exim take care of foo's
> mail-requirements after just a package reconfigure.  The aims are noble,
> just don't try and look at how it's done.

Is makes me cry.  Don't suppose anyone knows how to see what the config
file looks like *after* exim has parsed all the stupid ifdefs and macros
and stuff?  Aside from going through it by hand, of course.

> Is your experience with Exim debianised or not?  If not, then personally
> I think you're on crack.  Exim not only has a relatively sane
> configuration, it's one designed for humans to read and the manual is
> called The Exim Specification for a reason -- if behaviour doesn't match
> the manual, it's a bug.  No arguments, no quibbling, one or the other
> gets fixed.  It's the most complete and comprehensive and most damned
> useful documentation of any software product I've used

I beg to differ.  While I agree that it's complete and comprehensive, it
is largely impenetrable unless you already have a good idea about how to
drive exim.  The O'Reilly book for exim 3 suffers from this bug too IIRC.
No idea about the CUP book for exim 4 yet though.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

I think the most difficult moment that anyone could face is seeing
their domestic servants, whether maid or drivers, run away
  -- Abdul Rahman Al-Sheikh, writing at
     http://www.arabnews.com/?article=38558