Joshua Juran wrote:
On Jan 9, 2009, at 2:08 AM, Michael G Schwern wrote:
the most obnoxious fat finger target since Caps Lock

The Caps Lock problem was actually solved decades ago by NeXT.  On
NeXT's keyboards there was no dedicated Caps Lock key, and Caps Lock
mode was enabled by holding down Command and tapping Shift, which would
light up an LED embedded in the Shift key until you exited the mode by
the same means.

It took me all of a few minutes to discover and figure out with only the
markings on the keyboard as clues, and I *never* engaged Caps Lock by
mistake.

It's unfortunate and discouraging that nobody, even including Apple, has
seen fit to duplicate this design.

What's particularly awful is in all the mucking about with the UK MBP keyboard
to wedge in a few new keys they decided things like § and ± and Caps Lock are
more important than a full sized return key and #.

Fortunately, OS X comes with the built-in ability to turn Caps Lock into a
modifier key.  Unfortunately they felt the need to bury it under a button in
the otherwise empty Keyboard preference.

--
Alligator sandwich, and make it snappy!