On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 04:46, Joshua Juran <jju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2009, at 8:41 AM, David Cantrell wrote:
>
>> It would be Really Handy for me to be able to press
>> Something-o to get the oe ligature, something-a to get the ae ligature,
>> something-t for thorn, something-d for eth and so on.
>
> Why are there even separate characters for ligatures?  Isn't this a display
> issue?  Should a well-kerned 'AV' have its own ligature too?

Because those ligatures Dave mentioned are separate letters in some
languages; the name is a bit misleading. Treating them as a
presentation thing would be like treating English "w" as a ligature of
"vv" or "uu" (hey, it's even called "double 'u'"!); sorting and
searching would be an obvious place where this would start being a
problem.

Now, things such as the f-i and f-l ligatures are more like what
you're probably thinking of (though IIRC f-i, f-l, and f-f-l are
present in Unicode for strictly backwards compatibility reasons with
certain legacy encodings); those should be handled by the display
rather than by using separate Unicode code points.

Cheers,
--
Philip Newton <philip.new...@gmail.com>