On Jul 8, 2009, at 3:53 AM, Andy Armstrong wrote:

On 8 Jul 2009, at 04:23, Joshua Juran wrote:
But in the Gnome world it does, and this makes me want to strangle
kittens.

Can you point me to the research showing the effect this has on user efficiency, or failing that, at least a design document comparable to Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for the Macintosh? Or is this just an oral tradition passed on by those with their GUI well poisoned by X11, who then complain when everybody else does it differently?

You're being ironic or something, right? You don't actually believe that people's personal preferences have to be backed up by research do you?

Not ironic, but curious. I'm looking for some kind of organized statement of what the preferred behavior is (i.e. HIG) and why it's preferable.

Users are entitled to configure their systems however they like with no justification whatsoever. But I have little sympathy for the argument that *someone else* should implement support[1] for such preferences without at least a rationale.

[1] As in fully functional support that people won't hate.

I've never used FFM either - but if I was implementing it I'd make damn sure I consulted someone who had and respected their preferences.

Bingo -- I'm considering implementing it. First I need to know if it's worth implementing, which requires knowing what problem it solves. If it's not just a fetish[2], but a real problem (without a better solution[3]), it's likely I would do so.

[2] Fetishes include extensionless filenames and Mac apps written in Cocoa instead of Carbon.

[3] It's even more likely that I would invent a variant behavior and implement that.

Josh