Abigail:

> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:41:17PM +0200, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:

>> Joshua Juran:

>>> [2] Fetishes include extensionless filenames

>> Ok, I’ll bite.

>> I might’ve used extensionless filenames on my Linux desktop out of
>> æsthetic reasons (which you might call fetishes and I’ll be happy about
>> it), and I stopped because Nautilus wouldn’t create picture previews
>> when the file was extensionless, but why do you actually *need*
>> extensions for?

>> Surely you can’t do anything serious with a file based solely on its
>> extension, and I guess you’d rather my UI would not have to look at the
>> header just to choose an icon for a file, *and* the shell completion is
>> so much easier to code if it only has to consider extensions – but why
>> wouldn’t a filesystem that, say, stores the file type in metadata, work
>> better than extensions?

> Thinks I often do:

>    $ grep 'foo bar' *.[ch]
>    $ display *.jpg
>    $ rm *.p[ml]

> Oh, sure, it *could* all be done based on actual content, but while you're
> looking at the first file, I'm already done processing the directory.

> Now, go write a useful, non-trivial, Makefile that doesn't use extensions.

I agree that it’s sometimes (or even often, in certain areas/scenarios)
useful for files sharing certain specifics to have this reflected
in their names, and I can even confess that I just did all sorts of

  $ dcraw -e *.NEF
  $ mkdir jpg nef
  $ mmv 'DSC_*.NEF' 'nef/dsc_#1.nef'
  $ mmv 'DSC_*.thumb.jpg' 'jpg/dsc_#1.jpg'

myself, but I still prefer to have ‘The Passionate Programmer’ rather
than ‘The Passionate Programmer.pdf’ on my desktop, and I think you’d
see my point of view better if you imagined all directories having to
sport a .dir suffix on their names to be treated as directories by most
applications.

I’m not against storing stuff in the filename where it’s useful
(although ‘display Honeymoon*’ looks nicer to me than ‘display *.jpg’),
I’d just rather not be forced to use the extensions where they’re uglish
– hence the idea of the type stored as a quickly-accessible metadata.

I just recalled reading somewhere that HFS used something like this,
and I just now read [1] and [2] – it seems like something I must’ve
read before coming up with the above ideas. I’m still not sure whether
my case falls outside of the ‘fetish’ label; all I wanted to say is that
I think there *are* legitimate reasons for extensionless filenames.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_code
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier

— Shot
--
Local Man Plans To Run 3 Weeks’ Worth of Errands During
Twitter Maintenance Window              [patentlyfalse]