On Jul 8, 2009, at 5:15 AM, Piers Cawley wrote:

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Joshua Juran<jju...@gmail.com> wrote:
[2] Fetishes include extensionless filenames and Mac apps written in Cocoa instead of Carbon.

Isn't Carbon the one that's slated to be going away? If so, I'd've
thought that implementing in Carbon was the fetish.

Certain Carbon APIs are deprecated and have already gone away in 64- bit. Certain other Carbon APIs are the basis for the implementation of certain Cocoa APIs and aren't going anywhere.

The fetish I speak of is practiced by Mac users who (a) believe that flaws in application X (e.g. Microsoft Office) are due primarily to it using Carbon instead of Cocoa and (b) wonder why they haven't rewritten it yet, since that's what Apple told everybody to do.

Josh