It was thus said that the Great Martin Ebourne once stated:

> My favourite example of the fail that is caused by not having strong
> filetype metadata is this bug where OpenOffice is unable to print on
> Tuesdays:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/255161
>
> and for the specific comment that enlightens us all:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/255161/comments/28

  Because file misidentified the file type.

  Yes, file is nice, except when it can't identify the type of a file, which
in my experience (and it's rather recent) is less than 100%, and in one
particular case, it only correctly identified the file type 42% of the time.

  Okay, in that case, I had to write a custom program to locate mbox files
(a hate unto itself).  I located (in my own directory) 2,351 such files
(current email, archived email, yada yada).  I ran file (actually, "file -i"
to return the MIME type) across all 2,351 files, and here's what I got:

   1183 text/plain
    988 text/x-mail
    146 text/x-news
     16 application/octet-stream
      5 text/x-c
      3 text/x-c++

Sigh.

  -spc (And what I learned from that was, don't trust the extension and
        don't trust file ... )