* Abigail <abig...@abigail.be> [2012-05-14 16:34 +0200]:
> Although it wouldn't surprise me if MySQL used a configuration option that
> turns on case insensitive table names.

I'm fairly certain it does.  I recall having to turn on something like
that when we were evaluating some software whose developer apparently
worked with the setting turned on so the table references were a mixture
of cases.

This same software managed its licensing by connecting over the Internet
to the developer's MySQL database to see if there was a record allowing it
to run.  This marked the first (and so far only) time we had to allow
MySQL traffic through our firewall.

We did not end up using the software.

--- --
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be, and if
it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic."
                       -- _Through the Looking Glass_, Lewis Carroll