I'm not enthusiastic here as it not only makes the builds slower, it
reduces the #of builds we can through a day

one thing I am wondering is could we remove java8 support on some branches?

make branch 3.3.2.x (i.e the 3.3.3 release) the last java 8 build, and this
summers branch-3.3 release (which I'd rebadge 3.4) would ship as java 11
only.
that would cut buld and test time for those trunk PRs in half...after which
the preospect of building on more than one platform becomes more viable.