Jasmine writes:

 בגלל has a direct entry, so I’d think it would be romanized biglal (NOT
bigelal because as a whole word, the sheva would be considered merahef,
ignored in romanization), but the entry also says “see גלל”. So which is
it: Biglal or Bi-gelal?

Doesn't HCM say, more or less, "If Even-Shoshan gives both, use THE MORE
ANALYTICAL FORM"--that is, the form with the hyphen?  This is done, in the
same way as we write "Yerushalayim," so the 2nd part of the word will be
searchable.  Not that I expect people who want to search "biglal" will
search "gelal" and expect to find it, but people wanting "Yerushalayim"
will find "bi-Yerushalayim" also.  And so that all catalogers will romanize
these things the same way, after having once looked them up in the
dictionary.

Joan