The answers to questions 2 and 3 are clearly "yes", and between what you already know about Heka and my reply to the first message in this thread you should have some ideas re: how to handle monitoring Heka. That leaves us with question 1: "Should a logline that is too big for your sandbox stop Heka?"

The only person who really knows the answer to that is you, but my guess is that the answer is "yes". Sandboxes are, by definition, resource constrained; if they try to use more than the allowed resources, they will be shut down. If a decoder is shut down, then the input that uses that decoder will also shut down, since presumably you don't want to keep accepting data if you're no longer parsing said data.

In this case, would you want Heka to keep running, even though it's no longer accepting your input? We default to "no", under the assumption that it's better for the user to know something has gone wrong than for Heka to keep running while silently failing.

If Heka is doing other things that are more important, however, you can add `can_exit = true` to your input's configuration, see http://hekad.readthedocs.org/en/v0.10.0/config/inputs/index.html#common-input-parameters. This will tell Heka that it should keep running even if the input has stopped.

Maybe not the answer you were hoping for, but hopefully it's useful anyway.

-r