From: Marcus Brinkmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: David Denny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: April 12, 2000 3:50:07 PM GMT
Subject: Re: post installation/newbie..Hurd on intel pIII

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 11:34:14AM -0400, David Denny wrote:
> I guess I have to do a make or something... I can find my way around
> installing Hurd, having followed Matthew Vernon's instructions-- got Grub
> working, got a partition shared between Linux and Hurd, done some light
> cd/pwd/ls-ing and text editing so all well.. but some commands do not
work.
> at the bash prompt, e.g. type info and it comes back with command not
found.
> So I suspect I have to create and catalog some binaries. How?

You should install further packages, like info, via the net.
You can get them from
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386

or with dselect (use the FTP access method and the unstable/main
distribution). dselect offers a list of packages, and takes care of
dependencies.

Install singular packages with "dpkg -i filename.deb"

> Incidentally I used the most recent tarball to get the whole Hurd in
place.
> I have only done a couple of makdevs ie for /dev/hd0s14 (shared gnu+linux)
> and /dev/hd0s11 /gnu. Maybe I have to do makedevs for all the linux partns
> want hurd to see, and for the swapfile?

Yes, please. The installation only creates one for the root fs. Maybe we
should generate a standard set like Linux.

> Anyway the main question is do I need to do a make, make install and if so
> how? (I do have a couple of *nix books so not too much detail needed, but
> any pointers welcomed very much)

We try to provide you with a binary distribution for convenient
installation, so you don't need to compile everything yourself (unless your
name is Jeff Bailey :). If there's something you can't find in the archive,
let us know.

Thanks,
Marcus

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com