David R W Denny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> whereas for others like "info" I get the response "command not found".

In your favorite Debian mirror, there should be a file
/debian/dists/*/main/Contents-hurd-i386.gz which lists the files
of all available packages.  You could zgrep that for the missing
commands and install the corresponding packages.

There's also a contents search at
<http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages>, but I don't know if
it's aware of the Hurd.

> BTW I assume it is possible to have my Xserver (gui/kbd/mse) on
> this machine running X on either Linux or Hurd, and the Xclient
> running the application under Hurd or Linux on another box.

Yes, X can do this.  I haven't tried it with the Hurd, though.