I tried installing attachment_fu several times throughout the evening.

I got the following message each time:
Plugin not found: git://github.com/technoweenie/attachment_fu.git

Okay. I thought maybe there was something screwy going on with github.
But the odd thing is - when I go back to edit the application, there
is an empty directory in the vendor>plugins directory named:
attachment_fu.git

I played with some other plugins. Same thing. I get the message that
the Plugin is not found, but  still an oddly named (and empty)
directory gets added to plugins.

Am I doing something wrong? I expand the vendor directory, click "Gems
& Plugins >>", click "Go find some >>" and click"install" at the right
side of the row the plugin I want is in.