As I understand sass_on_heroku or better hassle can be used to compile
sass stylesheets to the /tmp folder on Heroku. I'm wondering what the
findings are about using this approach.

I'm asking because of this mention in the Heroku docs. Especially the
last sentence.

There are two directories that are writeable: ./tmp and ./log (under
your application root). If you wish to drop a file temporarily for the
duration of the request, you can write to a filename like
#{RAILS_ROOT}/tmp/myfile_#{Process.pid}. There is no guarantee that
this file will be there on subsequent requests (although it might be),
so this should not be used for any kind of permanent storage.

Cheers,
Marcel