Followup.

First, allow me to extend my thanks to all the replies.

*
*
*Production*
Pushed to production today, and now it does not detect 'manifest.yml'. It
did a couple of weeks ago, after a push.

*
*
*New App*
So, I copied the entire app, via finder, removing the git. Created a new
git repo. Removed new_relic and airbrake, and asset_sync gems. Created new
git repo, adding all the file. Created new cedar app on heroku and
pushed... it detects the existence of 'manifest.yml' and does not compile
assets. Exactly as expected.

*Git Corruption?*
So, my best guess is that there is something awry in my git repo.
'manifest.yml' is there, I can see in in 'git log' and it appears as
expected in my file system. But when pushed to heorku, it is somehow being
ignored or corrupted.

So I performed a 'git fsck --full'. Lots of dangling blogs,
dome dangling trees, and some dangling tags, but no errors
or corrupted commits reported. A 'git gc' fixed those.

Deleted 'manifest.yml' file, compiled assets locally, added
'public/assets/manifest.yml' to the repo and committed. Push to heroku,
and... still does not detect 'manifest.yml'. UGG.

My best guess is that the corruption is on heroku's side.

Any ideas?