Well, I figured it out. The problem is with my .slugignore file. In
.slugignore I had:

spec/**/*

assets/**/*

Why? I used to keep some photoshop files in there. But the /assets folder
doen't exist any more.

The problem? It appears that when .slugignore is processed is does NOT
behave like .gitignore and in my case above it ignored *all* *folders* with
the name of 'assets', *all* *files* with the name of 'assets', regardless
of location. Thus public/assets and all it's contents were removed from the
slug before asset compilation, thus it didn't detect manifest.yml because
it was removed.

The only way I was able to figure this out was by creating a custom
buildback with copious 'puts' to watch what was happening during the entire
slug compilation process. Man, what a waste of too, too many hours.