$15-20? That's not much more than going the utility knife route. I'm really
hopeful that this will work.

The big question to me is: how will a hot-knife deal with the aluminum
sheathing? If it's thin enough, it may melt, and we've got a new solution.
If the sheathing doesn't burn through quickly enough, it may conduct heat
away from the cut and melt more foam than necessary.

One possible workaround would be to pre-score the aluminum with a utility
knife, but it would be really tricky to pre-score both sides of the cut.
Also, it would require three passes; utility knife on each side and then the
hot-knife. That's too fussy to be a workable solution.

>From the land of remote possibilities, maybe bolting a utility knife blade
against the hot-knife blade would permit one-pass cuts.

Great idea,
Joshua