Julie here: please send a diagram/model.  This all sounds fine.

On Jun 18, 2012, at 8:16 AM, hexayurt@googlegroups.com wrote:

  Today's Topic Summary
Group: http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt/topics

accordion-folding stretch hexayurt [1 Update]
 accordion-folding stretch hexayurt
Brian <briange...@gmail.com> Jun 17 08:01PM -0700

Hi folks-

I'm new to the list, so apologies if this question has been answered
elsewhere (a quick search didn't turn up anything).

I'm thinking of building my first Hexayurt for Burning Man this year. Both my camp and my apartment are a little tight on space, so I'm aiming for
something that will

1. Comfortably accommodate me and my wife on the playa, while
2. Having a relatively small assembled footprint and
3. Folding up into a relatively small package for storage and transport.

The stretch hexayurt, as it is usually built, accomplishes 1 and 2, but not really 3. My proposed solution is to take the standard stretch hexayurt design, built with Camp Danger hinges, but add an additional "tight" hinge by cutting each of the long boards vertically in half (both the roof and the walls). Then the yurt can be disassembled into four accordion- folded
pieces that fold up into a roughly 4'x4'x2' package.

I've built a model of this and can send some photos if it's not clear what I'm talking about, once I have time to disassemble it to show the folding.

My question is this: will the vertical cuts on the long sides of the yurt cause me structural problems on the playa? Has anyone done this before?
It seems that if I tape them back together in the same way that roof
triangles are taped together, this should be reasonably strong. My model seems fairly sturdy, and since the stretch design leaves beind a few pieces of scrap insulation, I figure I could use those to reinforce the cuts if need be. But before I blow a bunch of money and time on a doomed design, I
wanted to see what the expert yurters out there think.

I also have a quick question on safety. I see the warnings about Tuff-R
and filament tape and flammability, and yet I also see lots of people
continuing to use those materials for hexayurts. Is it reasonable to
assume that these materials, though not necessarily "safe" are at least as safe as a nylon tent? Are there standard suggestions for mitigating fire
risk? Sorry again if this is answered elsewhere; there's a somewhat
overwhelming amount of information out there to sift through.

Thanks!

Brian

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group hexayurt.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.