hi Brian,

That's an interesting idea.  I built an H13 last year and it turned out
awesome, granted the winds were very mild so it never went through a "true"
playa test imho.

Your cuts being vertical, I don't see any problem with load support, that
is, vertical weight.  You might have a little more lateral flexing going
on, especially under high winds.  But with some good double filament tape
and some camp danger hinges, I don't see why it shouldn't hold up to playa
conditions, especially with some good tie-downs.

Yeah, I too struggled over the whole "flammability" thing while I was
purchasing my H13 materials. After spending 5 days in the sun at BM, and in
fairly high density camping conditions, and cooking with a camping stove
immediately adjacent, all those "fears" now seem to me, mostly unfounded.
 If you really want, you can cover the filament tape up with the foil tape
but, that just means more $ out of your pocket, and more waste afterwards.
 I did not bother to cover up the filament tape, I left it exposed the
whole time.  I'm guessing most other yurters did too.

Burn on,

-Alejandro

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:36 AM, Julie Danger <juliedan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Julie here: please send a diagram/model.  This all sounds fine.
>

> On Jun 18, 2012, at 8:16 AM, hexayurt@googlegroups.com wrote:
>
>   Today's Topic Summary
>
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt/topics
>
>    - accordion-folding stretch hexayurt <#138094003bf67f2a_group_thread_0>[1
> Update]
>
>   accordion-folding stretch
> hexayurt<http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt/t/83fb40efdc720e52>
>
>    Brian <briange...@gmail.com> Jun 17 08:01PM -0700
>
>    Hi folks-
>
>    I'm new to the list, so apologies if this question has been answered
>    elsewhere (a quick search didn't turn up anything).
>
>    I'm thinking of building my first Hexayurt for Burning Man this year.
>    Both
>    my camp and my apartment are a little tight on space, so I'm aiming
>    for
>    something that will
>
>    1. Comfortably accommodate me and my wife on the playa, while
>    2. Having a relatively small assembled footprint and
>    3. Folding up into a relatively small package for storage and
>    transport.
>
>    The stretch hexayurt, as it is usually built, accomplishes 1 and 2,
>    but not
>    really 3. My proposed solution is to take the standard stretch
>    hexayurt
>    design, built with Camp Danger hinges, but add an additional "tight"
>    hinge
>    by cutting each of the long boards vertically in half (both the roof
>    and
>    the walls). Then the yurt can be disassembled into four
>    accordion-folded
>    pieces that fold up into a roughly 4'x4'x2' package.
>
>    I've built a model of this and can send some photos if it's not clear
>    what
>    I'm talking about, once I have time to disassemble it to show the
>    folding.
>
>    My question is this: will the vertical cuts on the long sides of the
>    yurt
>    cause me structural problems on the playa? Has anyone done this
>    before?
>    It seems that if I tape them back together in the same way that roof
>    triangles are taped together, this should be reasonably strong. My
>    model
>    seems fairly sturdy, and since the stretch design leaves beind a few
>    pieces
>    of scrap insulation, I figure I could use those to reinforce the cuts
>    if
>    need be. But before I blow a bunch of money and time on a doomed
>    design, I
>    wanted to see what the expert yurters out there think.
>
>    I also have a quick question on safety. I see the warnings about
>    Tuff-R
>    and filament tape and flammability, and yet I also see lots of people
>    continuing to use those materials for hexayurts. Is it reasonable to
>    assume that these materials, though not necessarily "safe" are at
> [...]

-Alejandro Moreno S.
GreenMBA, Dominican University of California
Cell (415) 578-8731
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandromorenos>