Well now, the topic (which you introduced) was the idea that one had to
spend a hundred hours sit-down time with Sketchup because powerful software
demands that kind of time. ANY Ashlar product is an argument in favor of
not accepting that idea as gospel. The 1998 version of Drafting Assistant
would compete favorably with many attributes of the "free" - limited -
Sketchup currently available. If you buy full Sketchup, the price is $495
plus whatever training costs in time and money. AutoCAD has often been
called the Full Employment Program for Trainers. It has a more expensive
accessories package than Project Runway ever dreamed about.

   Speaking of expense, it wouldn't hurt to read some of the details about
Ashlar pricing. If you aren't developing for the military-industrial
complex or to peddle some sort of commerce, or if you're fully retired or
[insert other exceptions], prices become remarkably flexible. Ashlar is a
high-touch outfit and they have quite a following amongst elite designers
worldwide. They don't really have to compete for that last penny from a
poor but talented starving artist. There really is no better choice for the
types of people who turn into Burt Rutan (who wasn't always rich and
famous). Ashlar would probably get quite a kick out of helping form the
next Burt Rutan.

   The "free" version of Sketchup isn't really free, is it? A hundred hours
of sit-down time counts as zero? Maybe that doesn't apply to everybody.
Some folks work at more than one job and a hundred hours of sit-down time
takes away from other income-earning. Especially students, who often are
eating a lot of ramen to make ends meet, but these days, time/money can
affect decisions in a lot of demographic segments.

   I already had Sketchup. I understood the drawing without downloading
anything - it's simple framing. The underlying assumptions caught my eye,
not the drawing itself.