Actually, I think GMax does tout itself as a level designer amongst
other things.  Read their blurb...

Do you like to play games? Do you eventually get bored playing your
favorite game over and over again? Are you tired of playing the same old
levels, flying the same old planes, and fighting with the same old
weapons? Then it's time you tried gmax! With the free downloadable
version of gmax, you are in command. Model, texture and animate as far
as your imagination will take you. Share your new levels with your friends.

Note last sentence.