OMFG MY EMAIL, jesus christ you guys clam DOWN!

LOL

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tony "omega"
Sergi
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 8:39 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [hlcoders] c++ vs. scripts

I'm replying to myself because I just re-read it, it may seem like I have
this thing against CS, but I don't. Anyway, more to the point, because of
something phantom said about hl being one of the first.. well, no. Quake.
I'll bring up quake any day of the week. From what I know/remember, the
majority (or at least, a large chunk.. robin with tf, yahn with BSP, steve
used to run a quake modding site (he even helped me with some stuff back in
the day for quake, thanks steve!) of valve are/were all Quake Modders. It
isn't because its written in c/c++ that the mod community is so big; its
BECAUSE THEY SUPPORT IT. I've yet to see another retail game where the TEAM
sets up a coding mailing list, and other forms of communication to keep
community interaction with their project. HL could have had its own
variation on QuakeC, and I'm willing to bet it still would have risen to the
top.

Sure, it may not have lasted AS long, with so many things being recycled,
it's the fact that valve has always supported the mod community, being
modders themselves that put them to the top.

>From what I've seen, even if hl2 used a scripting language, I'd STILL mod
for it, unlike unreal. I just don't see the support aspect there.

omega
Blackened Interactive - http://www.blackened-interactive.com
Wavelength - http://www.thewavelength.net