> On the subject of 'Half-life being the biggest mod community', yes,
this is
> true however it was also pretty much the first as well, it was a few years
> before we saw other games which could be modable. However biggest doesnt
> mean best, look at every mod we've seen for HL, 99% of them are 'oh look its
> a fps we've just changed things a bit' its only recently with NS and ISO
> that things have changed a bit. Now look at UT2K3, its not really been out
> that long and someone has already used UScript to produce a game which is
> nuffin like a fps (Marble maddness), THATS flexiblity.

Half-Life has had racing mods, several Pong mods and engine upgrades -
all years ago. It's had a viable persistent character system written
entirely as part of a mod, though never implemented. With the Half-Life
SDK, you could feasibly write your own networking component, your own
renderer, your own physics engine. You can write them optimally and
integrate them with the rest of the engine, and it'll all work - and
fast. More and more people have done so, as with the Q3 map loader
discussed on the list a few days back.

Any scripting system alone would not allow modders to do things like
this. I would not consider that flexible.

-randomnine-