don't feel left out folks, I posted to this list before about it and finally
decided that I was wasting people's time.  Now, I have a machine dedicated
to getting this task done.  I found that slackware 7.1 uses egcs1.1.2 and I
am ready to try all of this again.  To recap on the issues I was having,
they were similar to this.

* fresh src = compiler errors
* src fixed with botman's "fixer", = no compiler errors, hl doesn't work
with it - complains about not being able to find things
* attempts to build egcs 1.1.2 with slackware 9 = waste of time, wont build
* revert to slackware 7.1 and use fixed src = makefile has issues?

This is where I am at now.