El Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:19:26 +0200
Marco Leise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> May I go a bit off topic? Yes? Thx :D
> I am about to create an alien jungle map and thought it would be the
> best to split the jungle in 512x512 units squares and 'plant' some
> models on them. The mod uses an altered vis code for entities that
> basically shows all entities within a certain radius. (So size does
> not affect visibility.) Now I'd like to have some variaty in the
> plants. Can I have one model with, for example, two tree types and two
> grass types and join them to four combinations by setting the
> 'body'-specific to 0-3 in the entity? Has anyone a .qc file? I never
> made a model and thought that some geeks on this list might know how
> its done.
>
> Thx again,
>   Marco

I have ear about some compiling  utility that work like your altered vis code (but
will hidde
also walls..(and for a old BSP version). )..

I fear If you profile your mod the fakevis function will be the big dog.

Humm...
If you have 2 models with 3 dif skins, its like to have 6 differents monsters.
You can have 3 models with 8 diff skins, and will look like  24 diff monsters...  IMHO.

Your grass will look amazing with some animation. Can be done clientside?
can be the grass triggered by texture shaders?

Its Half-Life "bsp-tile-world" friendly? Maybe you can copy & clone a single bsp model
over and over in the map ( setting the model to *1 ). This way the model "look" will
be map specific. I know a GTA3 alike mod that work this way, with basic architecture
details coded as func_ structures  (the name of this mod is BIGMAP) and fake a real
BIG BIG BIG
city with bsp models...

http://wiki.quakesrc.org/index.php/bigmap

About grass.... I have some models, crap, .... Do you know the furr effect? ITs a
particle effect
that fake grass magically... but need a lot of trans planes with green dots. Not
really usable, but
interesting.

http://forum.moddb.com/6/390/   <--- unusable but funny, mdl based