On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 15:09 -0500, Jorge Rodriguez wrote:
> Wow! For once, an informative, accurate and thoughtful post in a list
> that usually contains nothing but cruft! You caught me off guard.
> Thanks, John.

All hope is not dead on teh intarnets.

A few notes:

Correction: the shadow is not updated for every CUserCmd, but for every
_batch_ of commands.

If the user's commands are dropped for some reason, then the player is
not simulated at all server-side.  (His physics shadow doesn't move, but
it still exists).  When the commands finally to arrive, they are then
all simulated in the timespace of a single frame.

What exactly are the non-obvious differences between the
Player/Vehicle/Shadow/Motion controllers?

> Actually, CGameMovement is pretty much a direct port to C++ of HL1's C
> pm_shared code. Most of the physics and alot of the code has been
> retained. The only real functional difference between HL1 and HL2
> movement code is the player vphysics shadow, and all that does is move
> the player around a little bit if his movement interferes with vphysics.
> To get movement code identical to HL1, effectively all you would need to
> do is remove the code from VPhysicsShadowUpdate(), but then your player
> would lose all interaction with physics objects, and why would you want
> that?

That was essentially my point.  It's not my problem, though, it's KMod's
problem.  I just brought it up because I noticed a few mailings on this
list from them.

John Sheu