A few more questions:

So, as I understand it, how the player controller works:

If there is no backlog of CUserCmds, then the player is simulated by
CGameMovement and VPhysics for one tick, and at the end of the frame the
two are reconciled.

If there is a backlog of CUserCmds, then the player is simulated by the
CGameMovement as before.  The player shadow is given a set of
"intermediate targets" (based on the positions calculated at the end of
every batch of CUserCmds), and then this is VPhysics-simulated in one
frame, but with a time delta to match the difference between the first
simulated backlogged frame and the last simulated backlogged frame.

Given that, as said, the player and shadow controllers are almost
identical, I conclude that the shadow controller works as well by
setting a bunch of "intermediate states" and associating a time with
each of them, then simulating it all in one frame.  Is that correct?

Also, am I right in assuming that the underlying IPhysicsObject
functions still work?  (e.g., SetVelocity(), etc.)?