The biggest one would be technological differences. The system requirements
are higher than ep1 for starters, because there is a significant
technological difference in what is performed.
All the shaders are different, and have a lot more computations; Running the
hl2mp source in ep1 engine will consume less resources than in orange box,
even with the exact same content and code.

Take a look at the difference in requirements:

HL2/EP1:
----

Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card,
Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card,
Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

EP2/Orange Box:
---------------
Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX(R) 8 level Graphics Card,
Windows(R) Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection
Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX(R) 9
level Graphics Card, Windows(R) Vista/XP/2000, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet
Connection

Make sense? :)
-Tony

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Janek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just finished porting my mod from "ep1 engine" to "OB engine". I wanted
> post a quick feedback about performances I had under "ep1 engine" and "OB
> engine". My mod is based on HL2MP SDK.
>
> It is clear that performance under new engine are very bad from what I
> see:
> - movement are jittery
> - fps drops down
> Even if I set all settings to lowest level nothing is flawless.
>
> To ensure it is not due to a bad porting of my mod, I did the same test
> between a fresh HL2MP SDK (from Valve) using "ep1 engine" and the one
> using
> "OB engine". I experienced exactly the same performance problem.
>
> Do you experienced the same problem ?
>
> What can explain such a big difference ?

-Tony