I've had this problem before. I think the problem was solved by running

 ./steam -command update -game

 is the correct way i think. I don't remember if the linux server
needed the exact same dll's as the  clients but i would make sure both
the client and the server have the exact same DLLS.

Yes, running a  blank hl2mp mod is probably the best idea. Although, I
don't even know if that that works out of the box. Goodluck, I hope u
get it working