fxctmp9\post_nightvision_ps20.inc shaders\fxc\post_nightvision_ps20.vcs:
..\..\devtools\bin\updateshaders.pl ..\..\devtools\bin\fxc_prep.pl
post_nightvision_ps20.fxc ..\..\materialsystem\stdshaders\common_ps_fxc.h
..\..\materialsystem\stdshaders\common_hlsl_cpp_consts.h
..\..\materialsystem\stdshaders\common_fxc.h
 ---->"..\..\devtools\bin\perl.exe" <------

Unless you have perl.exe in your src/devtools/bin folder, I suspect this
could be a problem.  Heck, even if you did I expect it would still be
bad.  See my other email regarding setting up your environmental variables.
As for getting a better understanding of how the general thing works,
I've added Shader_authoring/Compile Pipeline page to the tutorial
describing the shader compile pipeline as best as I understand it.