No I wasn't advocating an 3D app -> MDL path. Simply adding support
for a more common/cross platform 3D format to those that StudioMDL
supports.

The problem with the SMD format is that it's an old format from and
old engine and requires plug-ins to be written for 3D apps to support
it. This leaves it down to Valve to write them.

Take Max for example - a plug-in for one version does not
automatically work with another, it needs to be recompiled against the
new versions SDK. A shop like Valve is probably only going to have one
version and not upgrade every time a new one comes along. Therefore
SMD plug-ins for other versions are going to have to be made by the 3D
app users themselves.

Now there are plenty of suitable cross-app 3D formats such as DAE,
FBX, etc. that Valve could add support for to the StudioMDL compiler
(and I've vocally expressed this to Valve many times) in *addition* to
the SMD, OBJ and MRM formats it already supports.

So why should they do it?

- Common file format means more 3D apps that can produce content
out-of-the-box or via publisher made plug-ins. For example DAE/FBX is
supported by XSI, Maya, Max, Blender, Milkshape3D, etc, etc.
- Gives modders/studios/licensees choice to use the 3D app of their
choice to create content.
- Valve doesn't need to produce plug-ins for apps, just support the
format in the compiler.

Simply put SMD format is binding end users to the few apps that write
it and the generosity of community users such as myself, Prall, et al.
to write these plug-ins for the 3D apps we want to use.

Interesting case in point - a Canadian studio approached me once
asking me when my plug-ins would be available for 3DS Max 2009 because
that was their in-shop 3D content creation tool and they had invested
a lot of money in software and training and didn't want to have to
move to something else. Their apparent decision to purchase a Source
license for their title was hanging on the availability of plug-ins
for Max.

My main issue with some of the SDK tool is that that it feels like
Valve aren't being smart about it. Good tools means wider adoption
which might result in more licensees and from a modders perspective,
more people getting into it and maybe making the next CSS/TF2/Portal
that Valve can snap up as their IP. I think Valve should have a
dedicated tool guy (not me) turning out polished useful tools - not
this rehashed crap that's hung over from Half-Life 1.

- Start over with StudioMDL - make it a GUI app from the start (and
adding batch/scripting to it wouldn't be hard)
- Make HLMV a proper MFC of WPF app and get rid of the old buggy mxtk
GUI from Mete's HLMV.
- Add support form more 3D modern file formats and eventually phase
out SMD, etc.
- If for license/NDA reasons you can't release all the source code for
apps, at least release parts of it. A lot can be learned from even
partial code that could help us as modders make our own apps.
- Add some SDK tool API stuff - for example code to render a 3D window
like in HLMV. It can still require steam but make it accessible so
that developers can add support for model rendering in other apps.
- Polished tools will make the SDK/Engine more attractive to end
users. Modding shouldn't be a right of passage but a warm welcoming
experience to inspire the next great ideas.

I could go on but you get the general idea...

- Jed