I've been experimenting with the filesystem today, and I decided to see what would happen if I tried to mount L4D2, which I don't own. Would it error? Would it crash?

No. It made Steam download the map I requested. I've now also downloaded one of the VPKs.

Only left 4 dead 2 common.ncf appears to be accessible, which is what dedicated servers get and doesn't contain the client library. That gives me some hope that this isn't an oversight and is in fact something intentional that mods can rely on...is that the case?