Porting to 2013 is mainly out of the question.  If it all I had hoped it
would happen long after the game was up on Steam.

I noticed today it is trying to mount depot_ID.vpk, and also trying to read
a file named "steam_vpks.vdf".  I haven't found any documentation on this
behavior but there might be a solution here.