Sirs,
"Steam", "2K gmes", "Firaxis", "Mindscape", " "GameSpy", ...

As too many others, don't even think they must be "coherent" with themselves !
When you run "CIVILZATION V",  and, compulsory, "Steam" in your computer,
they say that there are "MODS", and there is a even dedicated button in the
Main Menu.

Then, to use it, You must "call" them. But "without any kind of guarantee", and
"at your own
risks". I can understand that they don't want to fix any "bugs" ...
But, since these "Mods" can give them almost "ready made" objects, they coud
"try" them and
say which ones are "harmless" !

Well, they say (Steam) that anyone can download an "SDK" and "Modify", if not
the Game itself,
at least "Objects" of the Game.
But they don't say "Which SDK ?", and "Where to find it ?" ???
So, where could I find "SDK2006 mod to Steampipe." ???
"The contents of the Source SDK Base folder" ???
So, How to ""Plop" the "gamedir" inside" ???
Because, of course, the goal is to : "Update "gameinfo.txt" and
"steam_appid.txt", etc." !!!

I learned Computers "Science" in 1980, then worked in computers repairs till
1990, when
I learned to write any kind of Softwares.

  Then I wrote "Technical Manuals" and "Users Manuals" for "Information
Systems" till 2000 ...
Of course, I lost, since, accurate following of the latest "OS", Languages,
IDE, SDK, ...
developments ...
 And if I didn't know the word "To "Plop"", I understand its meaning by the
context ...
I know what it is "To "Mount"" a "Subprogram" or a "Datafile", if "VPK" is
somewhat mysterious ...
Then I understand quite well the problem below ...

Well, for all the "Modding Fanatics", If the "Companies" don't really care
about "Modding",
If You want to share the pleasure of improvements in favorite Games,

Please remind that even "Computer Science Professionnals" can lack some of
Your "ways of speaking" and a large part of Your experience of all the tricks
in
running such softwares ...

I hope one will become my "Friend" ...
So, he will find some 35 years experience of myself, plus the 45 - 50 years of
some of my friends ... !
If I don't know much about "HalfLife" creatures, I have also a much larger
konwledge than usual in the "realism" fields, in "Economics", "Historic",
fields, and many others.

Well, if some here are fans of "CIVILIZATION" as well as "HalfLife",
please, Help !
Sincerely yours.

> Message du 05/03/14 09:57
> De : "Foo Bar"
> A : "Discussion of Half-Life Programming"
> Copie à :
> Objet : [hlcoders] source sdk 2006 mod on steampipe doesn't mount vpk but
> vpks mount when from source sdk base

Hello,

I'm working on moving an SDK2006 mod to Steampipe.  Basically, I took the
contents of the Source SDK Base folder and plopped the gamedir inside, updated
gameinfo.txt and steam_appid.txt, etc.

When I try to launch it from my Steam library after installing from our
Steamworks depot the mod runs, but isn't able to mount any VPKs from hl2 or
platform.  I know I can manually extract the files it needs from the hl2 VPK,
but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Tracing it using procmon shows it trying to open VPK's as folders, and using
|all_source_engine_paths| as part of the path component to resources its
looking for.

However, using the exact same gamedir - it runs fine if placed into the
sourcemods/ directory.

I've also tried running the command line I see the spawned sourcemod running
as, it's something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base\hl2.exe" -game
sourcetest -steam -game "C:\Program Files
(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\themod"  -gameid areallybignumber

And I see the exact same problem.

It seems like when running a mod out of the sourcemods/ directory, Steam
launches it in a way that allows the mod to see data from within VPKs - but
standalone VPK's aren't supported.

Is the Steam client loading a compatibility DLL for mounting the dependent
VPKs?  If so, how do I use it?

Isn't file system access all handled by Source SDK Base/hl2.exe and its
libraries?

Any ideas?

Thanks

foo