I've come to the conclusion porting to 2013 is the thing to do and I've
started doing so.  I had hoped to port after releasing, but it appears it's
not to be.

I don't like the idea of including loose files for the supporting content -
like hl2 content.  Fragmentation, performance, etc are all reasons to use
VPK's IMO.

Thanks for the tip about VPC's.  I'll keep that in mind.  Winmerge is
awesome ;)

Thanks everyone for their feedback and advise.  Time to move along.

foo