if someone was cheating, it's quite obvious if you watch the demo.
After you watch the demo, who cares? You want to listen to little
whiners cry that they didn't cheat, good for you. I couldn't care
less, if I catch you cheating, you're banned, end of story.

We know that's what _you'd_ do, and most other people running one, or a
handful of servers, but we're running hundreds of game servers for a
large company and we don't have the liberty of just ignoring people when
they lodge an inquiry about the status of their ban. If we do, they go
to the parent company and start all kinds of complaint processes rolling
about how they were unfairly banned.

Again, yes, this isn't an issue for the majority of server maintainers.
I'm glad its not an issue for you. But it IS an issue for us. You've
just repeated the same things over and over - that you don't see why
they need to be kept, or whatever. But even if you don't understand or
believe us, just assume, for the sake of argument, they do need to be
kept.

Whisper's flying-off-the-handle comments aside - we rely on those demos
to be able to conclusively shut down users that complain about being
banned unfairly (in fact, its one of the more sweet aspects of the job -
when a user insists that he wasn't cheating and you supply a demo that
clearly shows that he was, and then you get the story about his "little
brother" or neighbour or whoever - everyone has been there).

Demo viewing is a core part of how our servers are moderated. In the
continued absence of an anti-cheating solution it is one of the most
effective way to keep cheats and troublemakers out of the servers.

However, as they can no longer be played for technical reasons and it
doesn't seem likely that this can be corrected we'll simply have to
investigate other avenues of dealing with this problem (rendering them
to AVI isn't really going to happen, we have more than ten thousand
records of this type that we'd have to go through - not to mention the
disk space that would be required).

Anyway, I think this conversation has been done to death.

-- trog