>I have never really noticed that pings rise due to that one guy,

Not saying that pings would raise, just that the server would have to
wait longer to finalize world frame data.

> it would make all sense that if you cannot keep up with the tick you will
> just skip it,

It seems to me that if the server just skipped ticks that a high
pinger couldnt keep up with to at the average rate that the rest of
the players could keep up, then the server would end up skipping all
of them.