Not everyone has a host that lets them run 32 player servers, thanks to the
fear of getting their IP's blacklisted. This fear was largely put to rest
after the Update which fixed the 32nd player crash. And after that forum
post from that Valve guy.

Now a plugin would largely fix it. Install it once, don't worry about it.
Instead of:

Install it once
Fear of an update making your server 24 slots again
Hope some guy makes a fixed engine.dll just in time and is not actually mid
flight. In which case we wait for a few hours, possibly longer.

Now of course Valve is the only one that can fix this 100%, by officially
allowing it. You'd think by now they would of succumbed to us. I mean it is
what the community wants. I understand if their vision of the game had the
servers capped at 24 players and that they wanted them to be at 24 at launch
or soon after launch. So that the most amount of people could buy and enjoy
the game whit out having performance problems. But the game is out now, and
the community wants higher player counts. Well the server admins do, whether
the 32 player servers are popular do to their positions on the list or due
to player preference is another. But the fact is that the community wants
it, the community already has it. Meh... It's all been said already.

I'll just try to wait and see who does what and who does it first and what
not oh and what Valve does, if anything.