-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of localhost
Subject: Re: [hlds] Client crash question

Not sure how you're using the word "paging" and you've also got a pretty
important typo in your first sentence.
On 32-bit OS, each process can have up to 2gig of virtual memory, and the
kernel takes the other 2.  On a 32 bit OS with the /3gb switch, the kernel
only takes 1 gig, and _if the process has the correct flag saying it can
use memory over 2gig_ (large address aware iirc), it can then use up to 3.

On a 64-bit OS, the /3gb switch isn't necessary.  Instead, if a process has
large address aware set, it can address up to 4 gigs of memory.  If not,
still 2.

As PPM is a kernel level thing, specifying /3gb switch on 32-bit OS will
reduce the PPM size, and (unless you have large address aware programs that
need the virtual memory, have no beneficial effect)

database 3495 (20081004) __________

http://www.eset.com

Sent Via http://www.gorillazsouth.com mail server.