Personally I see it as the guy who pays the bill makes the rules
(Including who does, and doesn't get kicked).

The community will vote with their feet if admins are too draconian.

We've got some fairly strict rules on what you can and can't do on our
public servers. We even have a bot that parses chat text and instant
bans those that mention common cheat phrases and porn/shock sites.

Sure we get some criticism from the community but the majority love the
fact that our servers are essentially "tard" free.

If you build it, they will come and all that :)

--
Matt Lyons (Bsc CS & Soft Eng)
Content Administrator, Internode Systems