Do you know what "by design" means?
We do not know the intended behavior of anything because we have no
documentation.
For all we know, there is simply a missing ui component that allows people to
switch game modes.

For all we know, servers are supposed to obey their maplist files, and lobbies
requesting a specific map that doesn't exist on a server will not choose that
server.

I say this because of *drum roll* common sense and logical reasoning.  Ever
consider custom maps?  The maplist is central to this issue.  Yet now, it is
completely ignored.